By Stewart Gandolf
Chief Executive Officer
A confounding notion in our industry is that medicine is a profession, but healthcare is a business. Think of these as opposite sides of the same business coin. The medicine/profession side leaves little time for the healthcare/business side. But, it turns out that a marketing outsource strategy can achieve critical objectives for both.
Most of the time, a person must be the clinical service provider. But, at any given split-second, they become the business owner/proprietor of a solo, group practice or partnership. This frenetic hat-switching happens amid intense competition and constant change.
When to consider marketing outsource help…
Business savvy practices and specialty medical groups tend to be fiercely competitive. They are success driven and want to continue to increase their market share. (The same is true for hospitals and health systems.) The signal for outsourcing might be when they are growing fast. Or to increase productivity. Or when they need to adjust to changing competition or market factors.
Crunch the outsource numbers…
Unfortunately, many groups and practices mistakenly believe that a D-I-Y approach is less expensive than a marketing outsource. That’s usually not the case. And, in retrospect, the well-intended self-help mission isn’t done well or isn’t done at all. The DIY outcome is zero.
Crunching the numbers reveals outsourcing to be a cost-effective operating decision. Adding to the full-time headcount is more expensive than retaining an outside firm. And, an outsource team brings a range of talents to the table.
Benefits of an outside marketing resource…
Of course, local needs and circumstances will vary, but the cost/benefit ratio often favors a marketing outsource strategy. Consider these added-value benefits:
- Outsource help produces a measurable ROI. Marketing is a revenue-generating investment that should exceed the cost of experienced help.
- Outsource resources leverage specialized talents and technology. A well-qualified service agency brings you many people with many skills, creative talents and specialized hardware and software.
- Outsource strategy means flexible response. You have bench strength, and can respond to change. You can scale-up (and later, scale-down) to meet competitive spikes, pressure deadlines, and unexpected “growing pain” demands.
- Outsource experience offsets novice mistakes. An experienced team on your side reduces risks and avoids legal and process potholes.
- Outsource strategy puts expertise on call. Connect with specialized talent and resources, as needed, such as independent market research, media buying, Internet planning and other skills.
A healthcare advertising agency can be a powerful business partner during times of change. When competition is growing, or when business is shrinking or suddenly expanding. Above all, added flexibility and bench-strength resources are always available.
Outsource marketing helps successful providers and organizations produce results and become more successful. For more information, please give us a call today: 800-656-0907.